Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Design process finished

We found an interesting fact yesterday while we were doing the final designs for our home. The design center is not owned by Woodside Homes. We found this out almost near the end or our process so I think that had something to do with some of the pressure that we felt when picking out our stuff.

Our design lady was really nice and really helpful. I could tell that she had a good eye for things (maybe it was that she suggested something, say for instance our house paint color, and I would like it). But she helped us out a lot. I guess my only feeling was that she really tried to upsell everything she could, instead of look after our best interests - getting into a nice house the least expensive way. She really didn't want us to put in the standard grade vinyl flooring. Our refute was that we were going to just replace it with hardwood later on. "Are you going to do it in the near future - like within 6 months? Because if not, I would HIGHLY suggest upgrading." Well, that kind of made us feel stupid, because "we weren't getting the BEST STUFF for our house." I kind of just played along with her through most of the stuff - lighting, plumbing fixtures, etc.

But we survived with our original thoughts on upgrades - and even escaped with lower costs. The fridge was lower cost, and we added a vinyl (not-so-near-future hardwood) walkway through the family and living rooms which lowered our costs by $1! SAWEET!

So even though I thought that the salesperson was just trying to up her commission, I am pleased with what I think is going to be the final version of our house.

How much longer do we have?

4 comments:

Alice said...

Eh- there were a couple of things I felt like she tried to upsell, but overall I thought she was good.

She didn't upsell us on carpet- she actually down-sold us, sort of.

Ron said...

Completing the design meeting is a big milestone! Did you feel your mind going numb toward the end of the meeting?

Alice said...

I thought for sure we'd be faster than we were. Choosing the carpet was the hardest part (maybe because it was toward the end and my brain was tired).

It's hard because you're picking all these things that in an already-built house you'd change one at a time. It was a lot to do all at once, and it's easy to think, oh, I hope I'm going to like that.

(but I guess even if there are things I don't end up loving, it's still better than buying a house and settling for however the previous owner did things)

Natalie Gordon said...

The design process freaked me out. I just couldn't visualize it. I just keep hoping that it will all go together well. At the time, Ron said that a virtual design studio would be the most awesome thing ever -- you could see it as you chose. I think I would want to see every available option. It would probably take 4 days instead of 4 hours.